01572 756711

all calls are recorded...

Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Number - 307696

Brexit Changes to Driving Abroad

Post-Brexit, there are new rules which change the way you drive in Europe, including the documents you will need to carry there.

Green Cards

A Green Card is a document that proves you have insurance to legally drive in the country you're visiting. It is also called the International Motor Insurance Card and is used in countries worldwide.

Until further notice, UK drivers and motorcyclists must have an insurance Green Card for each vehicle they drive to Europe. You are required to have a separate card for caravans or trailers.

In other countries, you may need a Green Card as well as extra insurance to drive there.

Contact your broker as soon as possible before your intended travel date, as the processing and issue of Green Cards by insurers can take several weeks.

Further information on the rules is available at www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad.

International Driving Permits

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is an official, multi-language translation of your driving licence. It is needed in certain countries outside the EU.

Many UK drivers will be able to continue using their normal UK driving licence in EU countries.  However, there are exceptions where some drivers may need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) before travelling. This includes:

  • People who have paper, not photocard, licences
  • Licences which have been issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

The type of IDP required varies depending on the country(ies) you intend to visit.  You are advised to check with the embassy of the country(ies) you will be driving in.

You can only apply for an IDP at an issuing Post Office.

  • To apply for an IDP you must be 18 years or over and have a valid UK driving licence.
  • An IDP cannot be issued to a provisional licence holder.

Other required documents

If you are driving abroad, you'll also need:

  • Your Certificate of Motor Insurance
  • The logbook (V5C) for the vehicle - if your vehicle is less than 12-months-old.
  • GB sticker if your number plate has the Euro symbol; a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales; or letters and numbers with no flag or identifier.

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag.

Comments are closed.